The South Australian German Teachers Association is a professional association of German teachers in all levels of education – primary, secondary and tertiary – who have banded together for the benefit of their students and to promote the study of German language in South Australia.
The SAGTA Committee meets once a month to discuss, develop and plan activities and strategies to help German teachers and students in South Australia.
We would warmly welcome new members, so that we can continue this valuable work.
Activities and involvements include:
- organising special German days, such as the German Day Out.
- running competitions such as the Schutzenfest Poster Competition (click here to see the names of last year’s winners),and the German School Film Festival, in association with the Goethe-Institut.
- subsidising students experiencing financial difficulty who wish to participate in a school-organised German Exchange. Application form here
- Application forms for the upcoming German exchange to Bavaria are here.
- administering and subsidising an annual student scholarship, either the Year 10 scholarship (2018), or the PAD Scholarship (2019), in association with the Goethe Institut. Information and Application form for this year’s scholarship are here
- The funding of special projects, or Sonderprojekte, which positively impact the learning or profile of German in the school, community or cluster
- working in partnership with the Goethe-Institut and associations in other states to foster links and promote sharing of resources and teaching methodology
- organising the annual German Teachers Conference, where teachers can update skills, gain new ideas, discover new resources and network.
- offering a SACE Revision Course for Stage 2 and Stage 1 (also suitable for the IB Diploma)
- advocating for the study of the German language in the curriculum and supporting teachers
- working with the Goethe-Institut to organise the German Film Festival screenings for schools (Kino für Kids).